Emergency Response & Security
Protecting our passengers, employees, airport partners and the communities we serve is a top priority. St. John’s International Airport Authority is fully prepared and ready to respond in any situation.
- Emergency Service (ES) that operates around the clock – 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The ES facility provides a Category 7 level of fire protection with Category 8 available with 3 hours notice.
- Emergency Services Personnel specialized in aircraft firefighting and rescue procedures.
- Airport Authority Fire Hall located in a newly upgraded Combined Services Building.
- A mobile casualty unit that can be used to treat up to 80 trauma patients.
- Rapid response to medical emergencies at the airport with all ES staff trained to the Advanced Level 1 Standard.
- Emergency Services response is augmented by on-site Defibrillators with staff fully certified to respond appropriately.
- Airport Authority promotes on-going emergency response training and prevention activities.
- Emergency Services is a part of the local 911 system and can also be contacted on the general airport automated phone line at (709) 758-8500 (press 9 when prompted).
With your security in mind, St. John’s International Airport exceeds security operation regulated standards. The following security programs are in place:
- Restricted Area Access Clearance Program
- Airside Vehicle Operators Permit Program
- Airport Security Program Management System related to access control
If you have any security related questions or concerns, please call the general airport automated phone line at (709) 758-8500 (press 7 when prompted).
In addition to the St. John’s International Airport Authority’s security personnel is a complement of security partners, which includes the following:
- Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
- Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA)
- Commissionaires (building and parking lot facilities)