Special Care / Accessibility Needs
St. John’s International Airport is committed to removing barriers for all travellers. We offer modern facilities designed to make the disabled traveller’s experience as comfortable as possible.
The Airport Terminal Building was built with complete access in mind and offers the following features:
- Audible and visual fire alarms
- TTY (Telecommunication Device for the Deaf) pay telephones
- Wheelchairs available from each airline ticket counter or by prearranging with respective airline
- Wheelchair access to all public areas
- Accessible tables in the food services area
- Low resistance doors and handles
- Dedicated passenger drop-off/loading zone
- Wheelchair accessible washrooms
- Wheelchair accessible parking, both long- and short-term
- Terminal building curbside parking for the physically disabled
- Braille lettering in elevators and washrooms
- Accessible telephones and water fountains
- Emergency call switches and visual fire alarms for washrooms
Service animals are permitted inside the Airport Terminal Building. Although there are no specific areas designated for relieving service animals, there are various areas that can be utilized for this purpose outside the Airport Terminal Building.
If you have accessibility needs, please contact the car rental agencies operating at the Airport directly to make the necessary arrangements.
To arrange for an accessible taxi service, please contact at least 24 hours in advance GoBus Accessible Transit at (709) 368-1620 or Wheelway Transportation Limited at (709) 753-0605. Both companies can accommodate large mobility aids.
As an accessible facility, the Airport is pleased that Metrobus has committed to providing a wheelchair accessible service on Route 14.
This route includes two drop-off and pick-up locations at the airport – one near the arrivals area of the terminal building and another on World Parkway near the Holiday Inn Express Hotel (pictured below).
The schedule for Route 14 can be found at https://www.metrobus.com/html-default/schedules/schedules_fall_14.asp
For more details on fares and passes, please visit: metrobus.com/fares
It is important to notify your air carrier or travel agent when making a flight reservation to request special assistance, including the time you spend in the Airport Terminal Building. If you would like an escort to assist you to the boarding gate, please contact your respective airline for more information and to make necessary arrangements.
The following also provide information about travel and accessibility issues and can be found on the Canadian Transportation Agency website.
- Aircraft Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities
- Air Travel Accessibility Regulations
St. John’s International Airport operates around the clock: 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week. If you have an accessibility issue or concern, please contact the Airport Duty Manager on call at (709) 757-4444.