Overview of Expansion & Improvement Plan
Passenger traffic has grown significantly since the Airport was privatized in 1998 and the existing Terminal Building was reopened in 2002.
Last year, there were close to 1.6 million passengers who passed through the Airport, a volume well-beyond the design capacity of the existing building of 908,000 passengers. As a result of this passenger growth, a 10-year plan was announced in 2017 that includes an investment of $200 million into the airport to expand and enhance facilities in order to accommodate existing and anticipate future passenger traffic volumes.
The largest capital project in the Airport Authority’s 18-year history is the Airport Terminal Building Expansion, which is being conducted in two phases:
- East Expansion (2014 – 2018), approximately 145,000 square feet.
- West Expansion (2018 – 2021), approximately 72,000 square feet.
When the East Expansion opens in 2018, passengers will enjoy the following:
- Double the seating capacity in the Departures Lounge
- More bathroom facilities in the Departures Lounge
- Expanded pre-board screening area by 4x it’s existing size, with additional space for future growth
- New, faster baggage screening system (Fall 2018)
- Larger check-in area (size to increase by 40%)
- 4 new gate positions for aircraft
- An area dedicated to nursing mothers in the Departures Lounge
- 5 new food and beverage and five retail outlets in Departures Lounge, featuring:
- YellowBelly brewery and public house will operate as the first and only full-service family restaurant in the Departures Lounge. It will offer high-quality, from-scratch food and craft beer. The restaurant will have seating capacity for approximately 120 customers. Arriving Summer 2018.
- Newfoundland Chocolate Company – the province’s most prestigious chocolatiers – will operate both a cafe featuring premium coffees and sandwiches, and a retail outlet for its artisanal chocolates. Arriving Summer 2018.
- Additional amenities will also be fast food service; a coffee shop and new retail outlets throughout the Terminal Building (2018-2021).
The West Expansion will commence in 2018 and is expected to be completed by 2021. The Arrivals area is the focus of this 72,000 square foot expansion, with the addition of:
- Further expansion to the Departures Lounge
- Three additional gates and passenger loading bridges
- More baggage carousals
- Expanded Customs and Immigration area
- Expanded Ground Transportation area
Once complete, the total size of the Airport Terminal Building will be close to 400,000 square feet. The St. John’s International Airport plays a key role as the premier gateway to the province. We’re expanding our facility and services to meet the capacity of two million passengers annually by 2021. We’re building a better YYT.