Passenger traffic has grown significantly since St. John’s International Airport was privatized in 1998 and the existing Terminal Building reopened in 2002.
In 2017, over 1.5 million passengers passed through the Airport, a volume well-beyond the design capacity of the existing building of 908,000 passengers. As a result of this passenger growth, the Airport Authority is expanding and enhancing facilities in order to accommodate future passenger traffic volumes.
The largest capital project in the Airport Authority’s 18-year history is the Airport Terminal Building Improvement and Expansion, which is being conducted in two phases:
Phase 1 (2014-2018) – now open with an additional 145,000 square feet added to the east side of the Airport Terminal Building focusing on the Departures process. Features Include:
- Larger check-in area (40% more space)
- Expanded pre-board screening area (4x more space)
- Double seating capacity in the Departures Lounge
- More bathroom facilities in the Departures Lounge
- Two new gates with passenger loading bridges
- New children’s play area and adjacent nursing mother’s area
- Five new food and beverage and five retail outlets in the Departures Lounge
Phase 2 (2019-2022) – an additional 100,000 square feet will be added to the west side of the Airport Terminal Building and will focus on the Arrivals process. Features include:
- Further expansion to the Departures Lounge
- Three additional gates and passenger loading bridges
- More baggage carousels
- Expanded Customs and Immigration Area
- Expanded Ground Transportation area
Once complete, the total size of the Airport Terminal Building will be close to 420,000 square feet. We’re expanding to add capacity; to accommodate new security requirements; to enable the province’s economic growth and to address the changing expectations of today’s traveller.
The Airport plays a key role as the premier gateway to the province, with approximately 70 per cent of all non-resident visitors who travel by air to and from our province do so through our Airport. Our Airport therefore plays a significant role in facilitating the economic growth and development of our region.