Overview of Expansion & Improvement Plan
Passenger traffic has grown significantly since the Airport was privatized in 1998 and the existing Terminal Building was reopened in 2002.
Last year, there were over 1.5 million passengers who passed through the Airport, a volume well-beyond the design capacity of the existing building of 908,000 passengers. As a result of this passenger growth, a 10-year plan was announced in 2017 that includes an investment of $200 million into the airport to expand and enhance facilities in order to accommodate existing and anticipate future passenger traffic volumes.
The largest capital project in the Airport Authority’s 18-year history is the Airport Terminal Building Expansion, which is being conducted in two phases:
- East Expansion (2014 – 2018), approximately 145,000 square feet.
- West Expansion (2019 – 2022), approximately 100,000 square feet.
East Expansion (Departures) – Now open
With the completion of the East Expansion (Departures), passengers will enjoy the following:
- Double the seating capacity in the Departures Lounge
- More bathroom facilities in the Departures Lounge
- Expanded pre-board screening area by 4x its existing size, with additional space for future growth
- New, faster baggage screening system (Fall 2018)
- Larger check-in area (size to increase by 40%)
- Two new gate positions with passenger loading bridges
- Children’s play area and nursing mother’s area
- 5 new food and beverage and five retail outlets in Departures Lounge, featuring:
- YellowBelly brewery and public house will operate as the first and only full-service family restaurant in the Departures Lounge. It will offer high-quality, from-scratch food and craft beer. The restaurant will have seating capacity for approximately 150 customers.
- Newfoundland Chocolate Company – the province’s most prestigious chocolatiers – will operate both a cafe featuring premium coffees and sandwiches, and a retail outlet for its artisanal chocolates.
- Booster Juice will offer healthy options such as smoothies, fresh-squeeze juices and delicious hot food items to customers on the go. It’s the perfect grab-and-go option while travelling through the Airport.
- Heritage Shop sells arts,crafts, gifts and books from local craftspeople and suppliers. It is a current concessionaire within the existing Terminal Building but will be relocating within the expanded Departures Lounge.
- Breakwater Place (Relay) provides all travel essentials – from chewing gum, cosmetics, non-prescription medications, to top-selling books and many travel-related accessories. It’s suited to meet the needs of travelllers worldwide.
- Full menu. Arriving Fall 2018.
- Additional amenities will be offered throughout the Terminal Building as the expansion progresses until completion in 2022.
West Expansion (Arrivals)
The West Expansion (Arrivals) will commence in 2019 and is expected to be completed by 2022. The Arrivals area is the focus of this 100,000 square foot expansion, with the addition of:
- Further expansion to the Departures Lounge
- Three additional gates and passenger loading bridges
- More baggage carousals
- Expanded Customs and Immigration area
- Expanded Ground Transportation area
Once complete, the total size of the Airport Terminal Building will be close to 420,000 square feet. The St. John’s International Airport plays a key role as the premier gateway to the province. We’re expanding our facility and services to meet passenger growth. We’re building a better YYT.