The Passenger Experience
Achieving an outstanding airport experience for our passengers is our priority, second only to safety. As the gateway to Newfoundland and Labrador, we understand that the experience of passengers at our Airport can help shape their perception of our city and our province. Our efforts, therefore, are focused on ensuring that this experience is positive. To help guide those efforts, we connect directly with our passengers and other visitors to our Airport in a number of ways, including:
- Participating in the Airport Service Quality Index Survey that measures our passengers’ level of satisfaction every quarter with 36 service elements at our Airport – everything from parking facilities and waiting times at security, to cleanliness and ambiance of the Airport Terminal Building.
- Conducting a Passenger Advisory Panel meeting every quarter. This panel consists of frequent travelers and users of this facility. These members offer valuable feedback on their airport experiences and offer suggestions for improvement.
- Engaging in social media, which has also enabled us to have real-time two-way dialogue with passengers and greeters visiting our Airport. It’s a way to let you know what we’re doing and to find out ways that we can serve you better. We encourage you to join the conversation with us on Facebook and Twitter.
We will continue to look for ways, both big and small, to positively impact the experience of visitors to our Airport. However, the greatest improvements will come with our 10-year Airport Improvement & Expansion Plan, which will enhance and expand our airport facilities so that we are well positioned to serve the 2 million passengers anticipated to travel to and from St. John’s International Airport by 2020. Improvements will include:
- Expanded check-in area
- More food and beverage options
- More comfortable seating areas
- Additional washroom facilities
- A larger pre-board screening area
- An expanded baggage/arrivals area
- Additional passenger loading bridges, providing comfortable access to the aircraft
- Additional gates to accommodate more aircraft
- A greater area for overnight aircraft parking
- More parking available for vehicles, including passenger, rental and employee parking
Every day, thousands of people travel through our Airport, and we understand that it is more than a place to rush in and dash out of. It is a place of family connections and hellos and goodbyes, and it is a place that connects you to the world. As your community airport, we want to create an experience that makes you proud to call St. John’s International Airport your own.